Spring! It’s all about awakening and new growth when nature beckons us to join in the flow of new beginnings. What will you start anew this season?
Do new possibilities await you in your work or career? Whether you get clear on your marketable skills, update your resume, request a raise, or change career direction, spring can be a good time to align yourself with the rhythms of nature and initiate a change.
Imagine that you had the ability to instantly shift something about your work life. Think for a moment about what it would be. How would your life be different with this change in place?
What do you imagine is keeping you from this desired change? If you are like most people, at least some of your thoughts are based on false assumptions. Yet, you make decisions, eliminate options or dismiss perfectly good ideas because of them.
Rather than needlessly negating your desire for a work-related change, consider the following steps:
1. Identify what you desire. Don’t let your assumptions limit you.
2. Recognize the beliefs that negate what you want. Sort out the facts from your assumptions or fears.
3. Shift your beliefs so they reflect your desire. For example, perhaps you want return to school and pursue a new career direction. But you may think that you’d fail because it’s been years since you’ve been a student.
In this case, your beliefs would be based on fear, rather than fact. An alternative would be to identify your needs and the support you might receive to succeed.
4. Stay focused on the result that would emerge from the desired change.
Note how your life would be different and how you would feel.
5. Let go of the details about how it will all happen. It’s more effective and less anxiety producing to think about the "what" of your desire, rather than the "how" of it.
6. Make it manageable. Identify one step you could easily take in the next week to bring you closer to your desire. Make sure you continue to take steps each week and don’t underestimate the significance of any action.
As for me, my rock garden needs an overhaul and the team at Heart At Work Associates has just launched monthly “Networking Made Easy” events for our clients and their guests.
While they are very different initiatives, they each give me joy and delight that will keep me motivated and engaged.